Family law is a branch of legal practice that centers on matters concerning family relationships. Matters like adoption, divorce, and child custody, just to name a few. It is a key area whose purview is domestic relationships. And attorney practicing family law is focused on practices that relate to conflict resolutions between individuals who have had an emotional falling out. Lawyers in this field help clients out in cases concerning: marriage, civil unions, domestic partnerships, adoption, surrogacy, child protective proceedings, juvenile law and paternity just to name a few.
Attorneys-at-law practicing family law are expected to represent their clients in family court procedures or in relevant negotiations that are oftentimes sensitive issues. Lawyers in family law lend an objective view in otherwise messy and painful situations, working with their clients to secure and fight for their rights. During these crucial and critical times, attorneys can also draft important legal documents.
What areas are involved in Family Law?
Family Law is a very broad branch of the legal tree. Some family law lawyers only specialize in certain areas of this practice, such as adoption, paternity, or emancipation. A Family Law attorney is not necessarily a divorce attorney.
Some of the topics and concepts a Family Law attorney might help out a client with:
- Marital Property: Assets acquired by either spouse during a marriage that is governed by a judicial division upon divorce.
- Paternity: the process by which a child’s paternal genetic heritage is to confirm. How the biological father is identified.
- Emancipation: A process through which a minor becomes self-supporting and assumes adult responsibility for their welfare.
- Prenuptial Agreement: A contract made between a couple before marrying in which they give up future claims to each other’s property in the event of a death or divorce.
- Alimony: A contribution made to one spouse by the other for support throughout or subsequent a legal separation or divorce.
- Divorce: A process of legal separation. Each partner hires their own lawyer, who will help devise a compensation plan in order to avoid a trial.
- Child Custody / Child Support: A process by which a stipend or financial plan is created in order to secure a child’s economical protection.
- Adoption / Foster Care: Adoption is a complicated process that varies according to the type of adoption, the origin of child, fluctuations in state laws, and dozens of other factors.
Reasons to Hire a Family Law Attorney
Attorney’s are skilled in filing the necessary paperwork, adhering to the variances of state laws, and guiding clients through a complex process. Meanwhile, Divorce attorneys are also proficient at distributing marital property, estimating spousal support, and recommending a plan for child custody, visitation, and financial support.
A well-versed Family Law attorney will aid clients in property settlements, alimony, parenting testing, child custody, visitation rights, child abuse cases, and dozens of other legal matters.
This legal area hits too close for comfort, having a trusted and licensed professional by your side can ensure your loved ones are expertly represented and protected.
Now, the Carlos Gonzalez firm is expanding its coverage into the dynamic and often confusing judicial branch of Family Law. For expert advice and up-to-date help don’t hesitate and get in contact with us.